Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I think I'll Bake These Cookies

I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't bake cookies much for my children when they were small. I was always on some new diet or other, and to tell you the truth, the main reason I didn't: I can't stand crumbs on the kitchen floor. So I'd always have an excuse, or procrastinate until they forgot. I usually baked ginger snaps at Christmas, but that's about it. I've even heard my girls discuss the lack of fresh cookies in our home when they were children. It's no different now. Maybe it's time for a change.

So many people are baking cookies for Christmas. Why not me? I found this recipe in Country Living Magazine, and yes, this is the year I'll bake home made cookies.

Cheesy Dog-Bone Biscuits

4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
4 Tablespoons butter, softened and cut into 4 pieces
3/4 cup all purpose flour (plus more for rolling dough)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon half-and-half

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, combine cheese, butter, flour, and salt; pulse until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add half-and-half; process on low speed until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough to a rectangle about 8 by 10 inches and 1/8 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a cookie cutter and transfer to an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool.

I'm going to store these in the Santa cookie jar. It's never had home made cookies in it before.





5 comments:

Cathy said...

Ha ha, making cookies for your "kids"! I think I'll whip up a batch for Tootsie my chocolate lab who is currently living at Grandpa's house.

As badly as they are spoiling her, she'll never want to move to Florida with us this summer, but maybe these homemade doggie biscuits will help!

Patty said...

Luhki is so spoiled he won't go outside without a cookie. If you try to make him, he just plants his feet and stares at the cookie jar.

I'm sure I'll get some aplaws for these! (ha ha couldn't resist)

Kenna said...

Haha!! I love how spoiled Huhni and Luhki are! Funny, I never knew that you didn't like baking because it would leave crumbs on the floor! Haha, it all makes sense now!!

Patty said...

Yes, you poor girls suffered from a lack of cookies because of your mother's crumbs-on-the floor phobia!

Guess what else Luhki and get to do that you didn't: play tag on the couch!

Kenna said...

Haha! I'm starting to think my childhood was deprived....

hehe!