Saturday, February 21, 2009

White Chili

There's something about hot soup that gives us comfort, even on sunny days like today. My favorite is white chili. I took a bowl to a sick friend last week and she said it cured her. So now I believe in the healing powers of white chili as well as its powers of comfort.

This soup can be made quickly, or you can let it simmer for a few hours and let the scent comfort you as well.

White Chili

Cook 5 chicken breasts and season well. Chop into bite sized pieces.

Melt 1/4 cup margarine in a six quart dutch oven. (I used the one Kenny gave me for Valentine's Day. Isn't it wild?)

Add 1 large chopped onion and 1 clove garlic and saute' until tender.

Add the chicken breasts and 5 cans of great northern beans, drained.

Add 6-8 cups water (depending on how thick you prefer your soup) and 6-8 chicken bouillon cubes (you could use canned chicken broth as well)

1 T basil

2 t ground red chilis or chili powder

1/4 t. cloves

1/2 t. cumin

coarse salt and pepper, to taste

other seasonings, according to your taste

Simmer soup for a bit to allow flavors to blend. Add chopped cilantro to taste, and simmer a little longer.

Dish soup into bowls and if you like, add fresh tomato, grated cheese and serve with tortilla chips.

2 comments:

made sweet said...

Hi Patty! I discovered your adorable store today and stopped in for a peek. I loved it, and became of a fan on facebook already. :) It was great to find a fun little boutique that has great stuff that is actually affordable! I bought a coat and love it. Thanks for having such a great little shop!

Patty said...

Thank you so much! If you don't see me when you stop in, make sure you tell the girl out front to find me so I can tell you thanks in person.